Recipe: Apple Cake

I broke my foot on Saturday! This probably means good things for readers of my blog, because it's going to force me to do a lot less running around and being busy and a lot more sitting down and working on projects to pass the time, which means I'll have a lot more to talk about here on Scrimpalicious.

Today, I'm sharing a recipe for Apple Cake. I wish I had pictures to show you, but we ate this thing so quickly that I didn't have a chance. I originally found the recipe on AllRecipes.com, but it was cloyingly sweet and very high in fat, so I modified it. This variation on the recipe is property of your truly.


I recommend making this with an electric mixer if you have one, because the batter is quite thick--almost more like a dough than a batter.

Apple Cake

Ingedients (serves 10-15)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
  • 1 pinch cloves
  • 1 pinch allspice
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 4 apples, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan. Flour pan if desired.

Crack two eggs into the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat well. Add oil, yogurt, and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds. Combine dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. Mix until fully combined. Add chopped apples and mix for another 30-60 seconds.

Pour/scrape batter into prepared pan (if it's too thick for you to get it to spread evenly in the pan, mix in just a little water until the texture is smoother, but be aware that this will add to the baking tie) and bake 40-60 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.

This is a very moist and somewhat dense cake, but we didn't find that it was heavy at all, because a lot of the moistness comes from the juice that comes out of the apple chunks as they cook. If you wanted to frost it, I'd recommend a whipped buttercream flavored with cinnamon or ginger. Very good with unsweetened coffee.

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend this cake. I came home from the Scrimps and immediately baked one for us. I am not sure if I stopped to take off my coat before I hit the kitchen! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...