Mr. Scrimp

Almost exactly nine years ago, I met this guy...





At the time, I thought he was too cool to ever pay attention to me. I was completely intimidated and too shy to talk to him. I watched him walk through the hallways of the Liberal Arts building of our college and I wondered who he was and how I could ever get to know him.

But I did, eventually, through a mutual friend, and we got to know each other a little.

Almost exactly two years ago, I called this guy.

At the time, I just wanted someone to talk to about something that was really inconsequential and had his number in my phone. I knew we got along, but I was still kind of intimidated by him, especially because of a very secret and very intense crush that I'd had on him for ages. We talked once every six months or so, just to catch up, and I didn't plan or expect to hear from him again any time soon.

But I did, very soon after, and we started talking more and more.

Almost exactly four months after that, I started dating this guy.

At the time, it was a long distance relationship. He lived in Ohio and I lived in Washington State. There was a three hour time difference, but it worked out because he was a waiter who kept very late hours and I was a preschool teacher who kept early ones. We talked every day and I knew from the very first day that I was in love with him and wanted to marry him. Still, I didn't plan on it (too much). I still couldn't believe that he could really feel the same way about me.

But he did, and every day he did his very best to convince me of it.

Almost exactly four months after that, I got engaged to this guy.

At the time, a few people thought we were rushing into it. We were still long-distance (until a month later), we had only seen each other face-to-face once in the previous five years. But we knew it was the right thing to do, so we ignored them and went for it. We kept talking every day, and we met each other's families and friends, and began to plan our wedding. I didn't think that it was possible for me to be any happier.

But it was, and as time went by, I began to learn that there were whole levels of happiness I didn't know about yet.

Almost exactly eleven months later, I married this guy.

At the time, I was convinced that I'd finally maxed out my happiness meter. We had a wonderful wedding. We were surrounded by all the people we loved. We were married by my dad, in the chapel of the college where we met. I moved to Ohio and we set up housekeeping in our wonderful apartment. I was convinced that there was no way I could love him even more than I already did.

But there was, and every day I found a new reason to love him.

I don't know what the future holds any more than anybody else does. I don't know where we'll be next month, next year, or ten years after that. But I do know that  my husband is an amazing man, who works hard to support us, who loves me and does everything he can to make me happy. And I know that even though I still think he's too cool for me, I have the unparalleled joy of seeing and talking to him every day, being his wife, and growing in love and happiness together.


Happy Valentine's Day, Mr. Scrimp. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, for heaven's sake. I do love me some sappy stories. Particularly when they involved people I've known for ages.

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...